"RRS" BlogFacebookTwitterE-MailPlaylistListen LivePodcasts
Interviewing celebrities, breaking national stories, blogging daily, and offering candid commentary on pop culture is just a small sample of what he does. Ralphie Aversa is the relentless, tireless, non-stop-always-go host and executive producer of “The Ralphie Radio Show.” Check out his links above, and his blog below - and thanks for swinging through!

8.07.2009

EXCLUSIVE: Soulja Boy Tell 'Em/Drake/Lil Wayne/Trey Songz - Successful

Soulja Boy Tell ‘Em told “The Ralphie Radio Show” first about his planned collaboration with “America’s Most Wanted” tour-mate Drake. It may have spurred when the Toronto emcee called Soulja, “the smartest artist of our generation, period,” on The RRS. Soulja Boy went as far as to upload the audio clip to his YouTube channel, and then paid the love forward when I chatted with him two weeks ago.

“Drake is a real dude. Most rappers, they don’t like to give the other rappers props,” Soulja Boy said. “He showed me my respect. Drake is a good artist.”

So with all of the props exchanged both in person and through The RRS – it only made sense that Soulja would afford me the first shot to play a Soulja/Drake track, right? Correct, and I did, but it isn’t how it seems.

Early Wednesday morning, Soulja Boy Tell ‘Em “at replied” me on Twitter – he basically sent an update that his 1.2 million followers could read, with my username in it, asking me to direct message him my e-mail address. Soon, Soulja hit my inbox with a new mp3.

“Successful” is a track that originally appeared on Drake’s mixtape, So Far Gone. “Best I Ever Had” spawned from this same compilation. “Successful” featured Trey Songz and Lil Wayne. Soulja left Weezy on the end and Trey on the hook, but rapped a couple verses of his own over the instrumental. From what I gathered, he just finished the song on his studio bus, and sent it to me.

Soulja’s version showcases a side of the Chicago-born artist that his fans are beginning to see more of – style with substance, more emphasis on lyrics, less emphasis on catchiness.

Of course, with four different artists on the single, I had to put the remix on it. Almost immediately after Soulja Boy sent me the song, I went to work – editing Soulja’s first verse with Drake’s second, Weezy’s final, and Trey on the hook – all while editing the track for content/language.

The result? A Ralphie Radio Show exclusive, which can be heard below:

No comments: